Tuesday 2 February 2016

Tri Force Heroes (3DS)

Date Purchased: December 28, 2015
Date Completed: February 03, 2016
Price: Free (Christmas Present)


Tri Force heroes, the game came out of nowhere.  My least ever anticipated Zelda game and it quickly became one of my favorites.  This game received mixed reviews from various outlets, including some very negative impressions from giantbomb, but personally, I love this game.  It's essentially a Zelda puzzle game, no, not a match 3 or anything like that, it's classic top down Zelda gameplay with what you could consider to be 32 mini-dungeons.  Each "mini-dungeon" has it's own set of 4 variants to add challenge, which increases your odds of getting better materials to purchase "suits" which will improve your various abilities.  This game is tough.  It's meant to be played with 2 others, but I managed to beat all the levels solo.  I put just over 40 hours into the game, and considering I did it TWICE with my son Cole's copy as well, that's 80 hours into Tri Force heroes, the most I've put into any game in recent memory including games like GTA V.  I love the "pick up and play[ability]" of this game, and the suits are interesting enough to make me want to keep going to collect them all. 


The difficulty is quite high, and some of the challenges feel impossible to accomplish solo. The final stage (not required to beat the game, but to get the prestigious "Force Deity" suit) was one of the hardest things I've had to do since achieving the mile high club achievement in Call of Duty 4.  I finally unlocked it an can now consider the game "finished" as I've officially beaten every level.


The games multiplayer is frantic and fun, luckily we have three 3DS's in our home so we've been able to play the game the way it's meant to be with my wife and son.  The online is mediocre, lag really drags down the game, but if you get a good connection, it can be quite fun.  It does get frustrating without voice chat, but even if it had that option, I'd never use it anyways.  The game lets you communicate with emotes which "work" but not always well.  I've still had some fun with random's though. 


If you're a fan of Zelda, I highly recommend this game.  It will be on my top 10 of 2016, and I'm going to guess it will land quite high depending on what else I pick up this year. 


"My Precious..."












No comments:

Post a Comment