Sunday 6 October 2019

Links Awakening Remastered (Switch)

Date Purchased: September 20, 2019
Date Completed:  October 6, 2019
Price: $69.99

I should have read my review for this game, the one I wrote just under 4 years ago.  I should have waited for some reviews to come out, but no, this time I was blind.  Blind to Nintendo's charm.  Here's what I had to say in 2015.

"Almost 4 months to complete this game, would have been much, MUCH longer had I not used a guide.  This game would have been amazing back in 1993.  A portable game of this size and scope could have kept you busy for many hours, but after playing “A Link Between Worlds”, another great top down Zelda game, it’s really hard to go back, no fast travel, pausing to change items, I could go on ... Regardless, this is a really fine game, an incredible accomplishment for its time, I can appreciate it for that, but trying to play it in 2015 is just that, trying.  Pass?"

The reviews started coming out advising how this was a faithful remake and I knew.  I was hoping it was going to be a "re-imagining" of sorts.  A modern take on a classic game.  Nope.  I played a game I didn't like in the first place a second time, paid almost full retail for an experience I didn't want.  I feel used, but in the end, it's my fault.  I pre-ordered digitally, paid it all up front.

My feelings on the game haven't changed much.  I enjoyed the dungeons a lot, but exploring the over world has always felt like a chore to me in top down Zelda games.  A link between worlds is the only exception.  I loved THAT game.  Lesson learned.

My kid really enjoyed it, so that takes away some of the sting.  But I watched him play, he mirrored an "Austin John Plays" from start to finish.  Oh well. 

Hard pass.



It's a good thing I could play this at work, or I might have
never finished it.





No comments:

Post a Comment