Tuesday 15 October 2019

MLB The Show 19 (PS4)

Date Purchased: October 1, 2019
Date Completed: October 15, 2019
Price: Free (PS+)

I'm no stranger to this series, and while I may have never reviewed one on this blog before, I've played plenty of "The Show" over the years.  It's been a while however, so when this was announced as a free game for PS+ I was pretty excited.  I've fallen in and out and back in love with Super Mega Baseball over the last few years and thought maybe it was time I played a real game of hardball.  Nope.  The same issues I've always had with this series is still prevalent today, the biggest offender is that it just takes too damn long to play.  I play NHL with 5 minute periods, I play Madden with 5 minute quarters and NBA with 4 minutes quarters, but something about playing an MLB game with less than 9 innings just feels wrong.  I've tried, got bored, came back, tried again and again, this game is just boring.  It's a beautiful game, it's amazing to just look at, and while the announcing team is feeling a little tired at this point, the presentation is second to none.  The camera angles, the broadcast presentation, it's all there and it's perfect.  The game is simply no fun to play.  I tried the "arcade" or "retro" mode and it's a joke, so don't even bother.  I wish I could like this game, I want to like it.  I love baseball, I just feel in this case, it's better to be a spectator than holding a controller.  Hard pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment