Tuesday 31 January 2017

Doom (PS4)

Date Purchased: December 28, 2016
Date Completed: January 27, 2016
Price: Free (Christmas Present)

I had some serious conviction playing this game.  Let’s just get that out front and centre.  Yeah, I played the old Doom games back in “the day” but those graphics, while ground breaking at the time, couldn’t tell a compelling story, for a long time I didn’t even know I was shooting Demons, I thought they were just monsters. 

Fast forward 20 some years and things have changed.  Games can now tell detailed stories (still usually not very good, but that’s another discussion),  and the graphics are quite astounding.  Doom 2016 looks incredible.  With that though came some strong guilt playing through this game.  I knew what I was getting into, and that should have been enough to stop me from wanting to play this game, but I’d also heard how it “didn’t take itself too seriously”, so, I was curious, thinking “how bad could it really be”?  Well, It can get pretty bad.  There are pentagrams all over, demonic chants, plenty of gore, demons everywhere, and you literally go to Hell … but you are the Demon slayer!

I still can’t decide whether I can recommend this game.  I’ve done some research on the subject, read reddit threads etc. and can’t come to a conclusion as to whether a  Christian should partake in an experience like this.  Would I want my kids playing it?  Heck no!  Did I enjoy it?  Heck yes!  What did I like about it?  It plays like a fast paced old school shooter, much like my game of the year for last year.  The metal soundtrack (instrumental only, no screaming) is awesome.  The graphics are great.  The story is … interesting (There’s an energy crisis on earth, and a corporation has built a portal to Hell to access their infinite supply.  Things get out of hand, and that’s where you come in)  But that gameplay?  It’s fantastic. 

I can’t say “Don’t play this game” … but be aware of what you’re getting into.  If you’re easily influenced, or you’ve read this thinking “oh man, this is not for me” or “I can’t believe he played it” then it’s probably not for you.  If the story had me fighting alongside the demons, I would in no way be able to recommend this game.  I ultimately come back to the fact that it’s merely an interpretation of Hell, and in some small tiny way, is educational.  But that gameplay though.  Recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment