Sunday 19 February 2017

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Vita)

Date Purchased:  January 1, 2014
Date Completed: February 19, 2017
Price: Free (PS+)

While looking through the Vita games I have tied to my account I came across Sonic Racing and thought it would be a good title to have on the go.  I played the game quite a bit on the Wii U when it's software library was sparse, but it had been a while since I took Sonic and friends for a spin.  The Vita version holds up surprisingly well and really looks fantastic.  I'm so used to playing small indie titles on the system it always comes as a surprise when I play a game that really shows off the systems capabilities.  This is a great little Kart racer, but not necessarily a Mario Kart killer, which in my opinion is a good thing.  I feel the pure racing is better in Sonic Racing than the Mario Kart series, I'm sure there's some rubber banding in here, but it feels far less obvious.  If you find yourself in first place, it's not a given that a certain item *cough*blue shell*cough* is all but guaranteed to knock you around.  The single player campaign has a nice variety of challenges that consists of more than just racing.  The transforming courses really are the star of the show, and while the vehicles transform, it's when the courses change after laps that the game really shows it's full potential.  Being so late to the party I didn't get to try out any of the online features or multiplayer, but the game still satisfied with it's single player content.  I only had a few issues with some of the geometry particularly in the water sequences where my vehicle would completely turn around for no apparent reason.  It didn't happen often, but was frustrating when it did.  Other than that minor hangup, I'd recommend this game, even in 2017.

Reddit Comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment