Sunday 23 December 2018

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy (Switch)

Date Purchased: November 26, 2018
Date Completed: Dec 6, 2018
Price: $35.74 (eShop)


I'm writing these as 3 separate reviews for one very nice package.

Crash Bandicoot:

I've played the beginning of Crash many many times, but could never bring myself to complete it, it was either too difficult, or I lost interest.  That changed with the Switch though, I could take the game with me, and I could be wrong, but I don't remember Crash on the PS1 saving after every level like this one.

This game is hard af.  It was hard back then, and apparently even harder now according to a variety of reports (Crash's drops faster after a jump making it harder to land your spots).  Some levels I was banging my head on dying probably in excess of 50 times.  It's no secret I'm a bit of a Nintendo fanboy, well, Mario, this is not.  By the end of the campaign though I found the levels getting easier as I had the controls and Crash's movements built into muscle memory.  It looks and sounds nice, the level design was a bit lacking however.  I keep hearing that this is the worst game in the series, but I still enjoyed it.  I'm looking forward to digging into the sequels.  Recommend.



Crash 2: Wrath of Cortex:

A much more enjoyable experience than the original game with far less frustrating level design.  I can't comment to graphics improvements etc as it's all remastered the same.  It's a fun game and a great game to listen to podcasts etc. along with.  I'm glad I knocked the first one out first because going from 2 to 1 would have been near impossible.  One minor gripe is having to collect the purple gem in each level, they're usually incredibly easy to find, almost impossible, but there were a few instances where I ran right past it making me complete the level another time to collect the gem.  Beating a level in this game is quite an accomplishment.  I still had a great time, recommend.


Crash 3: Warped:

The final and easiest installment by far, I knocked this one out in a couple sittings.  The new abilities really makes the game simple, the double jump takes out all the challenge.  It was a fun little game, but man I would have been pissed had I paid $50 for this back in the day.  Incredibly easy, the difference in difficulty between Crash 1 and 3 is night and day.

Overview:

A great litle package, worth the money I paid.  I've never been one to 100% a game, that's not going to change, but I could see myself coming back to this one every now and again.



No comments:

Post a Comment